Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Day 2 - A Month Without Groceries


August 14, 2009

I got a thumbs up from Mike on yesterday's dinner. Ania was less thrilled, but she was just being a picky eater. I served the chicken with mixed veggies and pasta to make it well balanced. Both Mike and I thought it was good and Mike has leftovers for lunch.

After our first day, I have determined that we need a new rule. Shopping for wine is allowed. Although we have a number of bottles of red, we had only one bottle of white....and we drank it last night. That's not good.

Now that I have had some time to think about my approach and determine what food we have available, I have noted this experiment will result in a number of positive impacts. The obvious is the savings we will have not shopping for groceries. In addition, there are several less obvious impacts such as
* Portion size will be more realistic to ensure we don't consume too much food for one meal.
* No more short order cook for me. Everyone will have to eat the same meal.
* No snacking throughout the day because I cannot consume ingredients I may need for dinners.
* We should have less waste.

Today is day 2 of the challenge and I have taken out Sea Bass for dinner. Looking in my pantry, I think I will pair it with creamy polenta.

No comments:

Post a Comment