Friday, August 28, 2009

Day 16 - A Month Without Groceries


August 28, 2009

Thanks everyone for the comments on my Month Without Groceries challenge. As was expected, some people cannot relate. Many others however, have provided wonderful feedback that is greatly appreciated and keeps me motivated to continue. I think it is important for people, no matter what their situation, to evaluate their lifestyles to determine if there are areas of waste that can be addressed.

One key area of focus in our house has been using our leftovers for lunches. In the past, my husband would bring a frozen meal to work for lunch (approximately $3.00 each) or would eat out (approximately $6.50 for fast food). Based on what I have seen in the workplace, the number of people who eat out for lunch far exceeds the number who brown bag it. The added benefit for me is that we no longer have those leftovers getting forgotten in the back of the refrigerator. C'mon, be honest, we all have them. In the last 14 days I have not thrown out a single leftover and my husband has not eaten out or brought a frozen meal for lunch. That has already saved us a minimum of $30 this month...and we are only half done. Tomorrow, I will share another way I am extending the value of the ingredients I have on hand.

Tonight for dinner, I plan to make chicken pot pies. To make this meal, I will use up some of the frozen vegetables I have in the freezer as well as some of those long forgotten baking ingredients such as shortening and flour for the crust. For the sauce, I plan to use some of the potato soup mix I have in the pantry. I've never made pot pies this way before, so it should be interesting to hear the family's response. I hope it is a success so I can use the ideas for other meals in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment