Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Day 13 - A Month Without Groceries


August 25, 2009

Now that I am one third through the challenge, I have decided it was time to assess the ingredients I have remaining. In doing so, I have determined we are pathetically inefficient and an unobservant in how we use food. For example, I have two open bottles of soy sauce, two open bottles of dijon mustard, and eight open bottles of salad dressing. That is just crazy. I have gone through and consolidated what I could and will try to keep an eye on this in the future. I think when the refrigerator gets too full, it is harder to determine if we have an open bottle of something and we end up opening multiple bottles of the same thing.

I have also done an analysis of the food expenses for our family for the last year. On average, we spend $822.11 a month on food. For a family of three, that is downright gluttonous. I know there was a lot of waste included in that number either from fresh fruits and veggies that spoiled or from things that got buried in the freezer and were not salvageable. Pretty sad.

For today's meal, I can use the extra pork chops we had from last night. I plan to make peanut ginger seared pork over soba noodles. I made the peanut sauce yesterday so the meal will come together very quickly. It likely won't be Mike's favorite, but it will prevent the pork from going to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment