Saturday, August 29, 2009

Day 17 - A Month Without Groceries

August 29, 2009

A couple of days ago I was on Sirius radio speaking about my challenge. I followed a segment by a woman in Massachusetts who uses coupons and loyalty programs to feed her family of 6 on less than $10 a week. She has an amazing story and does a lot of charitable giving in her community. For those of us with the time and patience to use coupons, I say Bravo!! Keep up the good work. I think we can all learn to be more frugal and she has definitely figured out a system that works for her.

I have to be honest. As much as I would like to use coupons to save money, I don't always find it is effective for me. We tried that approach a couple of years ago and determined the coupons were mainly for processed foods or items we wouldn't normally buy. I believe you can significantly reduce your grocery bills by using them, but your menu options may be limited and there are very few coupons that work for fresh meats, fruits, and vegetables. That being said, if you have got them, use them. It's free money.

For lunch today, we will be eating some of the leftovers we have from the last couple of dinners. We need to use those up soon. This evening we have been invited to a friend's house for dinner and a send off for one of our friends that is moving so I don't have to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment