Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Challenge Overview

A few weeks back I was reading through some magazines and came across an interesting column. The BA Foodist in the September 2009 Bon Appetit magazine had a question submitted about making the most of the food they had in their pantry. Andrew Knowlton's response included some recipes as well as a reference to a challenge he saw on an online message board to make a week's worth of meals using only what you had in your refrigerator, pantry, and freezer.

I thought a week was a rather short amount of time and after perusing my pantry, refrigerator and freezer, my Month Without Groceries challenge was born. I actually started my challenge 14 days ago using Facebook as the vehicle to communicate my progress, successes, and failures with my friends and family. After hearing from a number of people I should be blogging about this, I started my blog today.

I will post all of the historical information including meals and reactions to catch everyone up to where we are today at Day 14. All of these have been posted to FaceBook previously. I hope you enjoy reading about my experiences as this challenge continues to unfold.

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I came across your blog through an article on CNN. Good job! I have often thought of doing this. I look forward to reading the rest of your month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found out about your blog on an LDS Yahoo group for emergency preparedness and food storage. Wow! Exactly what I needed right now! My husband is away for a month, I'm alone with six kids, in a brand new house, and our income at the moment is ZERO. I had just begun to utilize the foods in my pantry, to see exactly how far I could make them stretch when I found your blog! THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete