Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Day 34 - A Month Without Groceries


September 15, 2009

Today is Day 34 and after dinner this evening, we will have officially made it through the Month Without Groceries Challenge. Phew! We have run out of quite a few ingredients, but surprisingly, we still have quite a few staples such as rice and pasta. Over the last week or so, I have been consistently using up the last of various ingredients from ketchup to mozzarella cheese. With no fresh produce on hand, I am really looking forward to a visit to the grocery store to get some ingredients for salad. I make this official though, I can't actually go to the store until tomorrow.

Our entire grocery bill this month was $9.21 for milk. Our milk bill could have been significantly smaller, but we have to buy lactose free milk which is approximately four times as expensive for a gallon. That is not ideal, but I have to say, well worth it.

For tonight's meal, I will be making patty melts. We had a couple of onions (the last of the fresh produce), bread, cheese, and hamburger remaining. I can't imagine that the family won't like those!

Tomorrow I will provide some insight into what I have learned. Future posts will include what I plan to do in the future, the new budget, and how this has changed our eating habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment