Friday, September 11, 2009

Day 30 - A Month Without Groceries


September 11, 2009

Yesterday's dinner was much better than I had anticipated. I've got to be honest, I thought it would be one of those meals that I had to force myself to eat. Fortunately, that didn't happen. The salmon cakes had a nice crunch to them and the dijon sauce (dijon mustard and mayonnaise) went very well with the dish. I served the dinner with a black bean and sweet corn salsa to which I added the last remaining jalapenos and red pepper and onion relish from the refrigerator. All in all, it was pretty darn good. My husband also thought the meal was good and gave it a high rating.

One thing I am glad we still have on the shelves is cold cereal. It is a staple for my daughter in the mornings when she has school and a favorite snack in the afternoons. I have concluded that if I didn't have cereal, this challenge would have been very difficult. I used to buy brand name cereals trying for the most part to stay away from too much sugar. Our pantry typically has Rice Crispies, Fruity Cheerios, Kix, Granola, and some variety of shredded wheat. I have noticed however, that those large bags of cereal in the grocery really do taste just as good as the brand names. They cost so much less too! Once this is over, I plan to scale back the cereals and purchase those more often.

Tonight for dinner, I plan to make tacos. Unfortunately, we don't have any fresh lettuce or tomatoes, but I do have some salsa and cheese to use as toppings. We'll see how that goes over.


No comments:

Post a Comment