Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Day 27 - A Month Without Groceries


September 8, 2009

Day 27 of the challenge. Things are still going pretty well although I have noticed the ratings my husband is giving my meals has been dropping in the last week or so. I guess that can only be expected when you get to the last remaining ingredients in the pantry and freezer things just aren't as appetizing. He still likes them, but he has indicated they aren't as tasty as the first couple of weeks.

For me, I really miss the fresh produce. Our frozen vegetable supply is fine in a pinch, but the texture of the vegetables is much softer than I prefer and I kind of feel like I am eating baby food at times. Yuck! I am really looking forward to hitting the farmer's markets to pick up some fresh seasonal veggies when this is over. On the positive side, I read that frozen vegetables are just as nutritious as fresh and are a good substitute when needed (http://www.wisegeek.com/are-frozen-vegetables-less-nutritious-than-fresh.htm).

Tonight I plan to make Halibut with a Puttanesca sauce. Essentially, I will use the leftover sauce from last week's pasta and add a few new ingredients such as green olives, garlic, and red wine to freshen it up. I will serve it with whole wheat penne pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment