Saturday, September 12, 2009

Day 31 - A Month Without Groceries


September 12, 2009

Today is Day 31 and we would be finished with this challenge if it not for the wonderful generosity of our friends and neighbors. It seems that has been both a blessing and a curse. We absolutely love the fact that our friends have invited us into their homes, but in keeping with the challenge, it has resulted in an extension of the original 30 days to 34.

Last night for dinner, I made tacos. The meal was a little more interesting than anticipated. Expecting to find a bag of Mexican blend cheese in the refrigerator, I was surprised when it wasn't there. My husband seems to have used it in the chili last weekend when I was away. As a substitute, I had to use mozzarella. Surprisingly, it was not noticeable! Note to self: You an substitute mozzarella for cheddar jack cheese in a pinch.

On that note, I wanted to mention that I often freeze cheese to extend it's life. I just toss it in the freezer and take out what I need when I need it. This works best for shredded cheeses, especially since they usually have resealable bags. If you don't already do this, you should try it! You will eliminate mold and extend the life of your cheese significantly.

There is a bit of a nip in the air today so for dinner, I plan to make meatloaf with potatoes and vegetables for dinner. It is one of those comforting meals that I know both my husband and daughter will love.

No comments:

Post a Comment