Friday, September 4, 2009

Day 23 - A Month Without Groceries


September 4, 2009

I received some bad news yesterday from my parents. My paternal grandmother passed away yesterday morning. I will need to travel back to the midwest for the funeral on Sunday and will be away from home and not able to make dinners for the next few nights. My family will continue with the Month Without Groceries Challenge by eating some meals I have pre-made.

In my absence, my family will be having Chili and Cabbage Rolls. Maybe not the most inventive of meals, but certainly easy to prepare in advance. Even better, I know they both like the meals and they should have enough leftovers to hold them over until I return and can continue cooking.

The great thing about a chili recipe is anyone can make it. The most difficult part of the recipe is the patience. You can use ground beef, cubed beef, ground turkey, or even ground chicken in this recipe. Add a few beans, tomatoes, chili powder, and you have a very easy meal. An added bonus is that the chili freezes very well. Use it as a full meal or over baked potatoes or on hot dogs for a slightly different spin on the classic.

Tonight for dinner, I am making Tuna Noodle Casserole. Yep, I said it. Tuna Noodle Casserole. More to come on the response from the family. Now that dinner is over, my husband liked it and my daughter was not at all thrilled.


My apologies in advance for the brief blogs over the next couple of days.

1 comment: