Thursday, September 3, 2009

Day 22 - A Month Without Groceries


September 3, 2009

I received a comment the other day from a woman struggling to make her meals interesting for her family. The comment was focused on having a lot of ground beef and few ways to prepare it that her family enjoyed. Being a relatively inexpensive meat, I know I have a number of pounds of it in the freezer and we tend to get stuck in a rut when it comes to preparing meals that use it.

To keep the meals fun for the family, try using world cuisines as a guide. Most of us probably already leverage ideas from Italy and Mexico, but how many of us look further? Off the top of my head, I can come up with more than two weeks of meals using ground beef. If you have a glut of ground beef in your freezer, try rotating in some of these meals: Samosas, Cabbage Rolls, Nachos (yes, for dinner), Shepard's Pie, Chow Mein, Pot Pie, Burritos, Pizza, Soups, Lasagna, Meat Loaf, Sloppy Joes, Chili, Patty Melts, Tacos, Casseroles, Spaghetti and Meatballs, and of course Burgers. Just switch up the spices you are using to prepare the meals and they instantly become different. I'd be curious to know what other ground beef meals people use. We can all use some new tricks.

Tonight for dinner I will be making a pasta dish I often use to clean out the refrigerator. I will take some of the chicken I have in the freezer as well as some olives, a small jar of artichokes, a small can of diced tomatoes, and a few capers and mix it with pasta. The meal goes together very quickly and always gets a thumbs up from my family. I usually use spaghetti as the pasta, but since I am out, today I will have to use whole grain penne.

P.S Now that we have had dinner, I forgot to add the artichokes and used fusilli instead of penne because my daughter didn't want the penne. It was essentially the same meal, just one ingredient short.

No comments:

Post a Comment