Saturday, September 5, 2009

Day 24 - A Month Without Groceries


September 5, 2009

Yesterday when I was making dinner I noticed something interesting about the tuna I was using. The name brand albacore tuna (Bumblebee) for the Tuna Noodle Casserole was mushy, kind of gray in color, and broken into very small pieces. Not at all appealing. I wanted to use a couple of cans in the recipe so I decided for the other can, I would use one of the cans of Costco's Kirkland brand albacore tuna I had on hand to do a side by side comparison. Interestingly, the Kirkland tuna was one large piece of tuna, that was light in color and quite firm. Just what I would expect.

If I recall correctly, Kirkland brand tuna is less expensive than the other brands AND the can size is one ounce larger. I have seen a number of comparisons of products (grocery and otherwise) in Consumer Reports over the years, but hadn't really paid much attention to the food items. I figured food items are taste specific and the commentary from the testers was subjective. After my own little comparison, I think I will start paying more attention to those tests in the future.

Coincidentally, the September issue of Consumer Reports has an article on Name Brands versus store brands. The results were mixed as far as what products were recommended, but quite a few of the recommendations were for the store brands. This, although not completely surprising, will definitely sway my purchases in the future.

Tonight the family is having the chili I made yesterday before I left home. It should be better after a day in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment