Monday, September 14, 2009

Day 33 - A Month Without Groceries


September 14, 2009

Monday again. We made it through our last weekend of the challenge without too many issues. A little moaning and groaning from the family, but not too bad.


I was watching Food Network this past weekend and found Melissa deArabian's new show interesting. Her shtick is to make a meal for four for $10. Initially, it sounds impressive, but if you think about it, that is $300 a month for dinner alone. If you add in breakfasts and lunches, for say $5 each per day for the family, that brings your grocery total to $600 a month. Call me crazy, but that doesn't really sound that economical. I am hoping we can bring our grocery bill in much lower than that once this challenge is over.

Tonight I plan to make lasagna. I will definitely have to make adjustments to my typical recipe, but I expect it will turn out OK. We still have some mozzarella cheese in the freezer and I have ground beef on hand for the filling. The only thing I am missing is ricotta or cottage cheese. I don't think that will make too big of a difference and in the end, the meal will have less fat and sodium. I may add in some spinach to the sauce to get the family to eat more vegetables. I wonder if my daughter will notice.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just found your blog through when searching for ideas for meals to make from the foods that I already have in my pantry and freezer - and I am inspired! I have often thought that I could go about a month without grocery shopping, which would definitely help out with our general family finances right about now. I am now seriously pondering my own monthly mission - but in the meantime, look forward to hearing more about your experiences!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad I am not the only one in this boat! This experiment has been tremendously valuable, both from a savings perspective and a creativity perspective. Additionally, my family has been very supportive.

    If you embark on your own challenge, I'd love to hear more.

    ReplyDelete