Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Day 28 - A Month Without Groceries


September 9, 2009

I was looking through the ingredients I have left and noticed a strange trend in the refrigerator. I currently have seven open bottles of salad dressing. I am not surprised that I have not used much of it lately given the fact that we do not have any lettuce for salads. However, it seems a shame to have so many bottles open that are not getting used.

In the past, I have used salad dressings for more than salads. They make great marinades, dips, sauces, and glazes. I typically use Italian dressing for a marinade for chicken or pork chops. The flavor is fantastic! French is used for a glaze on chicken, pork or ham. Honey mustard is a great dipping sauce and thousand island is wonderful in tuna salad (as a replacement for the mayonnaise) or on other sandwiches. The possibilities are endless.

Tonight I plan to use some of that thousand island dressing as a spread on sandwiches. Although I don't have any fresh bread right now, I do have the ingredients to make a loaf from scratch. I plan to make Rachel sandwiches which are a twist on the classic Reuben. Instead of using corned beef, turkey is used. The result is fantasic. I think I will grill it on my George Foreman grill to give it a nice crunch. My husband has a dinner appointment this evening so it will be just me and my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment