Thursday, September 10, 2009

Day 29 - A Month Without Groceries


September 10, 2009

Sorry for the late post today. I had a lot of things going on this morning and just now caught up.

Today is Day 29 of the challenge. Since we added the extra four days due to dinners with neighbors and friends, we have five days left. We still have a lot of dry goods in the pantry such as barley, various pastas, lentils, etc. I am however, running very low on frozen proteins and vegetables. The majority of the proteins in the freezer are fish or shellfish which is not exactly on the top of my daughter's favorites list. I don't like to make her separate meals, but I also don't want to torture her with fish for the next five nights.

I have not yet reused any of the recipes I have made up to this point in the challenge. That being said, I have found it quite difficult lately to come up with meals that are unique, interesting, and appetizing to everyone, especially given my lack of certain fresh ingredients. I will need to reassess all of the ingredients I have on hand in the very near future to see if I can continue to create new meals.

Tonight I will be making salmon cakes for dinner. I have a couple of packets of salmon in the pantry that need to get used up. Ideally, I would make them with fresh salmon, but that isn't going to happen considering the circumstances. I'll add a little mayo, some bread crumbs and spices and we should be set to go. As for my daughter, we will make her take at least one bite and if she doesn't like it, she can have one of those corn dogs consuming space in the deep freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment