Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day 21 - A Month Without Groceries


September 2, 2009

Yesterday's dinner was, well, interesting. The red beans and rice were just fine. It was the chorizo that concerned me. It didn't cook down very well and rather than feed my family an orange gelatinous mess, I switched out the chorizo for turkey breakfast sausage. I think the chorizo may have been in the freezer too long. Yet another casualty. On the positive side, the turkey sausage is a much healthier alternative. I just feel thankful I had some on hand to use.

Today is Day 21 and marks the end of the third week of the challenge. I am starting to notice that some of the meals I had planned may be “at risk” due to old ingredients. If that continues to happen, this is going to become a whole different type of challenge.

One of the ingredients I have on hand with an expiration date that is looming is cream cheese. I had bought a variety for breakfasts when we had house guests a while back and it never got eaten. Now, I have 2 tubs to use. I have found a good way to use cream cheese is as a base for cream sauces. I use it in chicken and seafood enchiladas, in pastas, etc. If you have some extra cream cheese, try it!

Tonight for dinner, I plan to make calzones. I have the ingredients to make the crust and have leftover pasta sauce, mushrooms, sausage, and cheese for the filling. Everyone likes pizza, so this meal should go over well. The cost for the ingredients is approximately $6.00 to feed everyone, so this is not only a meal everyone will like, but a good bargain as well. That is the best kind!

No comments:

Post a Comment